The BMW 501 was introduced in 1951. It was the first BMW produced after the
World War. The 501 was hand built so it took a while before it was available.
The first series had a six cylinder engine with 60 HP and a top speed of 130 km/h.
BMW decided this engine was too small and tuned it so it now had 65 HP.
In 1954 BMW introduced the 2.6 litre V8 wich had 90 HP for the 501. The new 502
also received this engine but had 95 HP. One year later BMW replaced the 2 litre
six cylinder with a new 2.1 six cylinder. The 501 went out of production in 1961.